Monday 6 December 2010

The autumn of my discontent

Late September till mid November I had a visit from the Black Dog. Under the care of my GP and the fabulous Crisis Team I was steered through a very deep dark depression & back out the other side. I kept a photography diary during this period on my phone. What came out of it was very interesting. I continued with the Self Help Self Portraits but unlike previous depression photo diaries the outside world got a look in and it looked beautiful.


I woke up one morning to find the light getting in through only tiny cracks. It's true of what I saw and how I felt. One morning I woke up and it was just there.











I took this picture while waiting for the C.A.T team to arrive to assess me. I had Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles on repeat until they arrived. I just felt like the world was getting darker by the second. At the end of the assessment I was asked what I liked to do. I said I had liked to take photographs but even that wasn't bringing me any joy or comfort. I was told to keep at it regardless of how I felt. The two images below are what I took after they left.







Few days later and the medication has kicked in. I felt doped up to my eye balls so I spent lots of days walking with a very good friend hoping the fresh air would wake me up. The images below were taken on during those walks. I love that as the depression lifts the pictures get much more colourful. To start with there is a lot of black and a bit of hope which is really how I felt.


























No comments:

Post a Comment